Friday, June 15, 2012

M&M Boutonnieres


I wanted to do something fun and different for the men at church for Father's Day. Every year they give us flowers. I wanted to do a boutonniere but not with flowers. They all have a sweet tooth so I googled candy boutonnieres. I found lots of pictures of the finished product but no tutorials. I definitely couldn't afford the $20 price tag per boutonniere so, I decided to come up with my own way to make them and then share the tutorial with all of you. Each boutonniere costs $1 or less so it's really affordable and easy to make.
Supplies needed:
I bought everything at the Dollar Tree except the M&Ms and boutonniere pins.
1 Bundle of fake baby's breath $1.00
(slide the baby's breath and leaves off of the stems)
1 Bundle of fake flowers $1.00 
(slide the flower heads and leaves off and cut the stem at the base with wire cutters)
1 Roll of floral tape $1.00
1 Box of sandwich bags $1.00
1 Roll of Scotch tape
M&Ms $2.89 at Aldis
1 Roll thin satin ribbon at Wal-Mart $0.97
Box of Boutonniere pins at Wal-Mart $3.00
1/4 cup measuring cup
Scissors
Wire Cutters


1. Cut the zip top off of the sandwich bag

2. Add 1/4 cup of M&Ms to the corner of the bag

3. Twist the bag really tight

4. Secure the tight twist by wrapping a piece of scotch tape securely around it

5. Take the floral stem and gently push it through the base of the "flower." Be careful not to puncture the bag out the other side. It's easy to do. Get the stem as far to the top of the bag as you can. It keeps the "flower" from falling over.

6. Secure the "flower" to the stem with a small piece of floral tape and trim off the excess sandwich bag where the floral tape ends. If you've never used floral tape before the trick is to stretch it tight as you wrap. That is what makes it stick.

7. Cut between the leaves to open the closed circle. This will make it easier to wrap around the base to secure to the "flower."

8. Wrap the leaves around the base under the "flower" and secure with a piece of Scotch tape 

9. Take the baby's breath and slide it up the stem. Position it at a height you like it and secure with floral tape. Cut the stem with wire cutters at the desired length and wrap the rest of the stem including the end with floral tape.

10. Now add some ribbon and you are done!

I hope you find this tutorial helpful and if you have any questions/suggestions please feel free to contact me. I think these turned out super cute and I know my husband can't wait to eat his!

*I don't mind you making your own but, please respect the work I've done here and not take my pictures or tutorial to your own site. Please refer your traffic here. I'd do the same for you. Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment