Thursday, January 20, 2011

Scratch Pancakes

One big thing that I've done to cut our food budget is cook from scratch more. I use to buy pancake mix from Aldi but, I found a recipe for the most delicious pancakes. It is in the Bridal Edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. The pancakes are so light and fluffy.

This recipe makes 18 4-inch pancakes
2 Large Eggs
2 cups flour or whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbsp sugar or packed brown sugar
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
6 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Beat eggs in medium bowl until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. Cook until golden brown.
To make this easier and more convenient I place all the dry ingredients together in a canister. Now, when we want to eat pancakes I just have to add the wet ingredients. It makes it faster. Then, I just refill my canister with the dry ingredients.

Here's the batter all mixed up and ready to cook. I LOVE this bowl. The pour spout is perfect. Another neat way to make pancakes is by using a squeeze bottle. You can make shapes and letters this way. This idea is found at http://www.howdoesshe.com/. I've found that a whisk works best to stir the batter. I also use a rubber scraper to make sure I get every drop of the yummy goodness cooked.

Cooking. My little man was yelling "pantake!" at this point. He loves pancakes!

All golden brown and stacked with yumminess. Add your fav toppings and enjoy. These also freeze well. Make a double batch and freeze the others for later. Take out what you want and pop them in the toaster or microwave. Great for breakfast in a hurry.

Recipe keeper tip: I use a photo album to hold my family's fav recipes. I write out the recipe on a 4x6 notecard. This works great because the recipe stays clean inside the plastic cover and I can stand the book up while I cook. It's also a space saver. You can go through your cookbooks and just pull out the recipes you want and then donate some of those cookbook that are just sitting in the cabinet taking up space.

Happy Cooking
~Tabitha~


No comments:

Post a Comment