Monday, April 4, 2011

Pizza Dough

I quit buying premade pizzas a while ago and haven't missed them at all. I found out that the dough can be made ahead and frozen too. The dough is also very versatile. On the website; http://www.ourbestbites.com/ they talk about making homemade "hot pockets." This is ingenius and I wish I had thought of this. All you have to do is make up your dough, divide it into smaller pieces, roll it out, fill it, bake it then either eat it or freeze it. I made ones with scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheddar cheese. The other ones I filled with chicken, bacon, and ranch dressing. They turned out great! They froze really well too. Here is the recipe for the dough that I use all the time.

Pizza Dough
3 cups of flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup warm water

Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on large pizza pan. Top as desired. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.

I like to brush the dough with olive oil and then sprinkle on italian and basil seasonings to give it more flavor. Sometimes I'll actually  mix the herbs directly into the dough. You can also make these into breadsticks or calzones. We roll out some dough, add pepperoni, and string cheese. Roll it up and pinch all the edges. Bake it and then dip it into marinara sauce. So good! Use your imagination. There are so many possibilities with this dough!

No comments:

Post a Comment